Most famous Thailand cuisine, Tom Yum. Do you know Thailand is my favourite country? Who doesn’t love Thailand right, summer all year, great food and friendly people. My late grandad’s family is from Thailand, South part of Thailand, Pattani.
My grandad never cooked, at least in front of me but Thai food is everywhere in Malaysia. A lot of Thai people migrate to Malaysia inclusive my grandad’s family. So I have eaten Thai food all my life and it has been my favourite. I have visited Thailand more than 5 times and each time I have tasted different kind of Tom Yum.
This recipe is how I relish my own version of Tom Yum. Sweet, sour, SPICY and thick from coconut milk. You can use any Tom Yum or Thai Chili paste for this recipe. Avoid using Tom Yum cube it doesn’t provide the same taste as paste version.
Be careful with the amount of chili because usually Tom Yum paste is already spicy, adjust it to your taste. Same goes to the amount of fish sauce and sugar, please adjust it to taste. Don’t follow recipe exactly because different brand of Tom Yum paste has different amount of saltiness and sweetness.
You can buy Tom Yum paste and all ingredients easily at Asian market. If you dont have rice noodle, you may replace it with any noodles you like.
- 4 cup fish/prawn stock or water | 4 cawan stok ikan/udang atau air
- 2 table spoon tom yum paste | 2 sudu besar pes tom yam
- 7 medium prawns | 7 udang sederhana
- 1/2 inch galangal | 1/2 inch lengkuas
- 5 lime/kaffir leaves | 5 daun limau purut
- 1 inch ginger | 1 inci halia
- 2 lemongrass | 2 serai
- 1 clove garlic | 1 ulas bawang putih
- 1 medium onion | 1 bawang saiz sederhana
- 2 thai chilies | 2 cili padi
- 1/4 cup coconut milk | 1/4 cawan santan
- 1/2 medium lime or to taste | 1/2 limau nipis saiz sederhana atau ikut rasa
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce or to taste | 2 sudu besar sos ikan atau ikut rasa
- 1 table sugar or to taste | 1 sudu besar gula atau ikut rasa
- Handful of enoki mushroom | segenggam cendawan enoki
- Rice noodle | Kuey teow
- Coriander leaf | daun ketumbar.
- Slice galangal, ginger and onion. | Hiris lengkuas, halia dan bawang.
- Using the flat of a knife, bash lemongrass,chili and garlic to flatten slightly | Titikkan serai, cili padi dan bawang putih.
- Boil fish/prawns or water stock. | Didihkan stok ikan/udang atau air.
- Cook medium prawns for 4 minutes to avoid it from overcook. | Masak udang saiz sederhana selama 4 minit untuk elakkan ia keras terlebih masak.
- Put in the tom yum paste and stir well| Masukkan pes tom yam dan kacau sebati.
- Put in, galangal, lime/kaffir leaves, ginger, lemongrass, garlic and onion. Let it simmer for 15 minutes| Masukkan lengkuas, daun limau purut, halia, serai, bawang putih dan bawang. Didih selama 15 minit.
- Put in fish sauce,sugar and lime juice to taste. | Masukkan sos ikan, gula dan jus limau ikut rasa.
- Pour in the coconut milk | Masukkan santan.
- Reheat the prawns and enoki mushroom for 2 minutes, ready to serve with rice noodle and coriander leaf. | Panaskan udang dan cendawan enoki selama 2 minit. Siap di hidangkan bersama kuey teow dan daun ketumbar.